Transferring Undergraduate Credit

Once you have been admitted to the university, CSUMB Office of Admissions will analyze and record your advanced placement course credit, transfer credit, and other credit for which you may be eligible and will establish a permanent student record for you. This permanent record will eventually include your official transcript of all courses taken at CSUMB and their associated grades. Your student record may also include a recording of additional credit for which you may be legible by virtue of specific tests and assessments, and a summary record of all transfer credit from previous colleges or universities you may have attended. Transfer credits may be recorded on your University Learning Requirements worksheet where appropriate. For information on how these credits may apply to your academic program requirements (Major Learning Outcomes) contact your specific program.

In accordance with Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations, Section 40409 a maximum of 70 semester credits earned at a community college may be applied toward your undergraduate degree, with the following limitations:

  • No upper-division credit may be allowed for courses taken at a community college.
  • No credit may be allowed for professional courses in education taken at a community college, other than an introduction to education course.
Advanced Placement Examinations

CSUMB grants credit toward its undergraduate degrees for successful completion of examinations of the Advanced Placement program of the College Board. If you present scores of three or better, you will be granted up to six college semester credits for each exam. If you present scores of three or better in approved subjects, you may receive from three to six semester credits for each examination. Submit your official test scores to CSUMB Office of Admissions.

International Baccalaureate Examinations

If you are an International Baccalaureate participant and plan to enroll at CSUMB, you should submit a copy of your official IB transcript when available. You may earn advanced standing credit for passing the International Baccalaureate's Higher Level examinations with a score of 4, 5, 6, or 7. CSUMB does not award credit for Subsidiary Level passes.

Credit by Examination

You may challenge courses by taking examinations developed at CSUMB. Credit shall be awarded to those who pass them successfully.

Credit for Noncollegiate Instruction

CSUMB grants undergraduate degree credit for successful completion of noncollegiate instruction, either military or civilian, appropriate to the baccalaureate degree, that has been recommended by the Commission on Educational Credit and Credentials of the American Council on Education. The number of credits allowed are those recommended in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services and the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs.

Credit for Prior Learning

CSUMB grants credits for learning, knowledge, or skills-based experience that has been documented and evaluated according to campus policy. You should be aware, however, that policies for earning credit for prior learning vary from campus to campus in the CSU. Contact CSUMB Office of Admissions for additional information on the evaluation process.

Transferring Graduate Credit

You should contact the specific academic program for transfer evaluation of graduate coursework completed prior to admission.

Consistent with policies of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, CSUMB does not award credit for prior experiential learning at the graduate level.