Free Application for Federal Student Aid

To be eligible for financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The FAFSA application is available online at after January 1st of every year. Financial Aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Therefore, you are encouraged to submit your application soon after January 1st. When submitting a FAFSA online, print out a confirmation page for your records. The CSUMB federal school code for the FAFSA is 032603.

If you applied for financial aid the previous year, a renewal FAFSA will be available online upon logging in to the FAFSA website.  Your renewal FAFSA will be submitted electronically. 

Application for Admission

You must be admitted to CSUMB before Financial Aid determines your financial aid eligibility. A supplemental application is required for admission to the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP). You can obtain one from any California high school or college, or from the CSUMB Educational Opportunity Office.

New Cal Grant Applicants

If you are applying for Cal Grant A or Cal Grant B and you did not receive this grant in the previous academic years, you must complete a Cal Grant grade point average (GPA) verification form. You can obtain this form from high school and college counselors and financial aid offices.


It is important to file applications as soon as possible after January 1. Those who have not yet filed taxes may provide estimated information. Students who are admitted to the university for the Fall 2009 semester should complete the 2009/2010 FAFSA before notification of admission to the university. You must apply before March 2 in order to qualify for Cal Grants. Other grants are limited and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Your application will be accepted after March 2, but you are more likely to only receive student loans.

You may also be asked to submit supporting documents before your financial aid eligibility is determined. This could include copies of federal income tax returns or an income-verification form if no tax return was filed. You will receive a letter and/or email from the CSUMB Financial Aid Office if additional forms are required.