Transfer Policies of CSU campuses

Authority for decisions regarding the transfer of undergraduate credits is delegated to each California State University (CSU) campus. Most commonly, college level credits earned from an institution of higher education accredited by a regional accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education is accepted for transfer to campuses of the CSU.

The CSU General Education-Breadth (GE-Breadth) program allows California community college transfer students to fulfill lower-division general education requirements for any CSU campus prior to transfer. Up to 39 of the 48 GE-Breadth units required can be transferred from and certified by a California college. “Certification” is the official notification from a California community college that a transfer student has completed courses fulfilling lower-division general education requirements. The CSU GE-Breadth certification course list for particular community colleges can be accessed at

Campuses may enter into articulation agreements on either a course for course or program to program basis. Such articulations are common between CSU campuses and any or all of the California community colleges, but may exist between CSU campuses and other institutions. Established CSU/CCC articulations may be found on

No more than 70 semester units may be transferred to a CSU campus from an institution which does not offer bachelor’s degrees or their equivalents, e.g., community colleges. Given the university’s 30-unit residency requirement, no more than 90 total units may be transferred into the university from all sources.

Transfer Requirements

If you have completed fewer than 60 transferable semester college units (fewer than 90 quarter units), you are considered a lower-division transfer student.

If you have completed 60 or more transferable semester college units (90 or more quarter units), you are considered an upper-division transfer student.

If you complete college units during high school or through the summer immediately following high school graduation, you are considered a first-time freshman and must meet those admission requirements.

Transferable courses are those designated for baccalaureate credit by the college or university offering the courses and accepted as such by the campus to which you seek admission.

Due to enrollment pressures, some CSU campuses do not admit lower division transfers so that more upper division transfers can be accommodated. Having fewer than 60 units at the point of transfer may affect eligibility for registration priority at CSU campuses and may affect the student's financial aid status.

A maximum of 70 semester (105 quarter) units earned at community colleges may be transferred to CSU. Community college coursework completed above the 70 units may be used to meet GE and major preparation requirements even if the units will not count toward the baccalaureate degree.