CSUMB strives to make the registration experience as smooth as possible. The registration process includes tuition and fees payment, academic advising and class enrollment. All academic and financial holds must be reconciled prior to registration.

Class Enrollment

If eligible to register, you will receive a registration notification which will inform you of the registration process and offer you several resources to aid in the enrollment process. You may register online during your assigned enrollment appointment or during the open enrollment period.

Late Registration

You may register late with the approval of individual instructors through the end of the schedule adjustment (add/drop) period. A late fee will apply to students registering for the first time on or after the first day of the semester. Registration forms are available on the Office of the Registrar's Forms website.

Adds and Drops

The responsibility for adding and dropping any course rests solely with you. CSUMB will determine and publish the schedule adjustment periods available and post them on the Registration Deadlines webpage.

You may add and drop courses during the schedule adjustment period.

After the schedule adjustment period, you may withdraw from a course for serious and compelling reasons using the Class Withdrawal Form. A grade of W will appear on your transcript for courses withdrawn from after the schedule adjustment period.

Instructors may give up your place in class if you do not attend or contact the instructor by the second meeting of the course. The course will not appear on your transcript when the instructor drops you for non-attendance during the schedule adjustment period.

Maximum Unit Load

Undergraduate students have a unit enrollment cap which is based upon their major, level, and academic standing. Graduate students may enroll in a maximum of 12 units, while credential and second baccalaureate students may enroll in a maximum of 20 units. Students requesting additional units beyond their maximum allotment may meet with their advisor to obtain permission to exceed this cap. An approved Additional Unit Authorization Form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar prior to the end of the Schedule Adjustment Period.

If you find it necessary to cancel your registration or to withdraw from all classes after enrolling for any academic term, you are required to follow the university's official withdrawal procedures. Failure to follow formal University procedures may result in an obligation to pay tuition fees, as well as the assignment of failing grades in all courses, and the need to apply for readmission before being permitted to enroll in another academic term. Information on canceling registration and withdrawal procedures is available from:

University College and Graduate Studies
Administration Building (1)
100 Campus Center
Seaside, CA  93955-8001

To begin the withdrawal process, contact the University College and Graduate Studies. To formally withdraw from the institution, you must complete the withdrawal process by submitting the withdrawal form, with all required signatures, clearances, and documentation to the Office of University College and Graduate Studies.

If you wish to withdraw from CSUMB after the Schedule Adjustment Period, you may do so for documented serious and compelling reasons (e.g. death in the immediate family, medical complications and legal actions). A grade of W will appear on your transcript for all courses dropped after the Schedule Adjustment Period.

Undergraduate students may withdraw from no more than 18 units at CSU Monterey Bay.

Withdrawals shall not be permitted during the final twenty percent of instruction except in cases, such as accident or serious illness, where the cause of the withdrawal is due to circumstances clearly beyond the student's control. Withdrawals of this sort may involve total withdrawal from the campus or may involve only one course, except that course grade and credit or an Incomplete may be assigned for courses in which sufficient work has been completed to permit an evaluation to be made.

If you receive financial aid funds, you must consult with the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawing from the University regarding any required return or repayment of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term or payment period. Students who have received financial aid and withdraw from the institution during the academic term or payment period may need to return or repay some or all of the funds received, which may result in a debt owed to the institution.

Financial Aid Services
Student Services Building, 3rd Floor
100 Campus Center
Seaside, CA  93955-8001

A leave of absence is available to students who are in good standing that have attended at least one term at CSUMB prior to requesting a leave. Leaves may be granted for a maximum of one year or two consecutive semesters and must be requested prior to the start of the term requesting absence. Retroactive leave requests will not be approved.

A leave of absence will be granted when the student has filed an approved request with the Office of the Registrar. The Leave of Absence Request Form shall specify the reasons for the leave and the duration of the leave.

An approved leave maintains continuing student status, and allows a student to retain catalog rights and eligibility to enroll for the term immediately after the expiration of leave without reapplying to the university. While on leave a student is not considered “enrolled” and is not eligible for any services from the university, except for email account access. The student will be informed of registration information and deadlines for the term he/she is to return to CSU Monterey Bay. Being on an approved leave of absence will not defer your student loans. Loans can only be deferred by continuous enrollment.

Failure to return from leave as specified in the approved petition will be considered withdrawal from the university. Under such circumstances, re-enrollment will require a full application for readmission under the same circumstances as any new or returning applicant including enrollment in the curriculum in effect at the time of re-enrollment.

You must request that official transcripts be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar if you attended another college or university while on leave.

Special note for international (visa) students:

International students are reminded that immigration laws govern their visas. International students should always consult with the International Programs manager before attempting a leave of absence.

Class levels are the categories used to classify students on the basis of units completed. Freshmen are those who have completed fewer than 30 semester units. Students who have completed 30 to 59 semester units are considered sophomores. Juniors are those who have completed 60 to 89 semester units. Students who have completed 90 or more units have achieved senior status. Graduate students are those who have graduated with a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.

Precollegiate/remedial: 001-099

Lower-division: 100-299

Upper-division: 300-499

Postbaccalaureate/graduate: 500-699

Professional development: 700-999

As of July 1, 2011 federal law (Title 34, Code of Federal Regulations, sections 600.2 and 600.4) requires all accredited institutions to comply with the federal definition of the credit hour. For all CSU degree programs and courses bearing academic credit, the “credit hour” is defined as “the amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than:

  1. One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or
  2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution, including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.”

A credit hour is assumed to be a 50-minute period. In courses in which “seat time” does not apply, a credit hour may be measured by an equivalent amount of work, as demonstrated by student achievement.