Records & Registration ~ Academic Standards

Academic Probation

Undergraduate students must maintain a cumulative and CSUMB grade point average of at least 2.0 and demonstrate satisfactory progress to degree consistent with university policy (4.500 Academic Standing, Probation and Disqualification).

As an undergraduate student, you will be placed on Academic Probation if at any time your cumulative grade point average in all college work or cumulative GPA at CSUMB falls below 2.0. Admissions & Records will notify you if you are placed on Academic Probation. You will remain on Academic Probation until your cumulative and CSUMB GPA  reach 2.0 or above, or until you have been Academically Disqualified.

As a classified or conditionally classified graduate student or credential student, you will be placed on Academic Probation if your CSUMB GPA falls below 3.00. A graduate chair may also notify you of Academic Probation or disqualification for failure to maintain a GPA of 3.00 or better in all courses taken to satisfy requirements for the degree. While on academic probation, if your cumulative CSUMB GPA remains below 3.00 for a second consecutive term, you  may be academically disqualified by the program. Your graduate department will notify you of your academic status.

Academic Disqualification

Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations mandates the following definition and formula for Academic Disqualification:

Academic Disqualification means that the student has not maintained satisfactory academic standards and is involuntarily separated from the university.

If you are an undergraduate student on Academic Probation, you are subject to Academic Disqualification when:

  • As a freshman (fewer than 30 semester credits of college work completed), you fall below a GPA of 1.50 in all credits attempted or in all credits attempted at the campus where enrolled.
  • As a sophomore (30-59 semester credits of college work completed), you fall below a GPA of 1.70 in all credits attempted or in all credits attempted at the campus where enrolled.
  • As a junior (60-89 semester credits of college work completed), you fall below a GPA of 1.85 in all credits attempted or in all credits attempted at the campus where enrolled.
  • As a senior (90 or more semester credits of college work completed), you fall below a GPA of 1.95 in all credits attempted or in all credits attempted at the campus where enrolled.

If you have been academically disqualified Admissions & Records will notify you of your disqualification and of your right to petition the university for reinstatement.

Administrative Academic Probation

As an undergraduate student, the university can place you on Administrative Academic Probation for any of the following reasons:

  • Withdrawal from all or a substantial portion of your program of studies in two consecutive terms or in any three terms. (Note: If your withdrawal is directly associated with a documented chronic or recurring disability or its treatment, you are not subject to Administrative Academic Probation for such withdrawal.)
  • Repeated failure to progress toward your stated degree objective or other program objective, including failure to progress resulting from assignment of 15 units of NC, when such failure appears to be due to circumstances within your control.
  • Failure to comply, after due notice, with academic requirements or regulations which are routine for all students or a defined group of students (e.g. failure to complete English Placement Test, failure to complete a required practicum, or failure to complete a specified number of units as a condition of receiving financial aid).
Administrative Academic Disqualification

Administrative Academic Disqualification means that, as an undergraduate student placed on administrative academic probation, you may be disqualified from further attendance if conditions for removal of administrative academic probation are not met within the period specified; you become subject to academic probation while on administrative academic probation; or you become subject to administrative academic probation for the same or similar reason for which placed on administrative academic probation previously, although not currently in such status.


If disqualified, you are not eligible for reinstatement for a minimum of one academic year. You will be required to reapply for admission and submit a letter of appeal to Admissions & Records. The Admissions Exception Committee will review your reinstatement appeal, with approval based upon your documented good-faith effort to improve academic standing and improve circumstances within your control that directly resulted in your disqualification. You will be informed in writing of your status within 30 days of receipt of your completed reinstatement petition. For information regarding reapplication and the petition process, call Admissions & Records at 582-5100.

Standards of Progress for Veterans

If you are a veteran or eligible person and you remain on probation for a deficient cumulative GPA below 2.0 beyond two semesters, you will have veteran's benefits discontinued and any further certification of benefits terminated.