Records & Registration ~ Grading Policy

Grade Mode

The grading policy of the university permits either letter grades A, B, C, D, F, with plus or minus designations, or CR/NC to represent credit/no-credit. You may request either graded  or credit/no-credit grading unless the course has specifically been designated as graded or credit/no-credit. You may only change grade mode through the course adjustment period. There is no limitation regarding the number of courses that may be graded in either manner. You must earn an assessment equivalent to a letter grade of C or better to receive a designation of CR.

Grade Points

The following grade points are associated with each letter grade:
































Administrative Grading Symbols

The following administrative grading symbols may be assigned for various categories of enrollment.

AU (Audit)

You can enroll in a class as an auditor with permission of the instructor only after students eligible to enroll on a credit basis have had an opportunity to do so. As an auditor, you are subject to the same fees structure as credit students and regular class attendance is expected. Once enrolled as an auditor, you may only change to credit status during the course adjustment period. If enrolled for credit, you may not change to audit after the third week of instruction. Enrollment as an auditor requires that you obtain the permission of the instructor and submit a Schedule Adjustment Form to Admissions & Records during the course adjustment period. The AU symbol does not indicate completion of the class.

I (Incomplete Authorized)

The I symbol indicates that a portion of your required coursework has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period due to unforeseen, but fully justified, reasons, and that earning credit remains possible. It is your responsibility to bring pertinent information to the attention of the instructor and to determine from the instructor the remaining course requirements which must be satisfied to remove an incomplete. The instructor assigns your final grade when the work agreed upon has been completed and evaluated.

An I must normally be made up within one calendar year immediately following the end of the term during which it was assigned. The limitation prevails whether or not you maintain continuous enrollment. Failure to complete the assigned work will result in an the I being counted as a failing grade for grade point average and progress point computation, unless the faculty member indicates a specific letter grade to be assigned at the time the incomplete is assigned. The academic program responsible for the course maintains an official record of the written contract. If the instructor of record is no longer available, the academic program director ensures that the instructor's obligations are fulfilled.

IC (Incomplete Charged)

The IC symbol is used if you received an authorized incomplete I and have not completed the required course work within the allowed time limit. The IC replaces the I and is counted as a failing grade for grade point average and progress point computation.

RD (Report Delayed)

The RD symbol may be used where a delay in the reporting of a grade is due to circumstances beyond your control as a student. Only the registrar can assign this symbol, and, if assigned, it is replaced by a substantive grading symbol as soon as possible. An RD is not used in calculating grade point average or progress points.

RP (Report in Progress)

The RP symbol is used in connection with courses that extend beyond one academic term (e.g. Capstone, graduate thesis, or a long term upper-division project-based class). It indicates that work is in progress but that assignment of a final grade must await completion of additional work. Work is to be completed within one year except for graduate degree thesis work.

W (Withdrawal)

The symbol W indicates that you were permitted to drop the class after the eleventh day of instruction with the approval of the instructor and appropriate campus officials. It carries no connotation of quality of your performance and is not used in calculating grade point average or progress points

WU (Withdrawal Unauthorized)

The symbol WU indicates that you were enrolled, did not withdraw from the course, and failed to complete the course requirements. It is used when, in the opinion of the instructor, completed assignments or course activities or both were insufficient to make normal evaluations of academic performance possible. For purposes of grade point average and progress point computation, this symbol is equivalent to an F.

Change of Grade

A change of grade may be made only in the case of a clerical or other administrative grading error. An appeal for a change of grade must be initiated by you as the student and must be approved by the instructor. An appeal for a change of grade must be initiated within (60) calendar days of the first day of classes of the regular semester following the award of the grade. Repeated Courses

Repeated Courses

Undergraduate students may repeat courses in order to fulfill degree requirements, enhance previously acquired learning, or both. You should seek academic advising before deciding to repeat any course.

If you repeat a course, the highest grade earned will count in your grade point average. Once you elect to count a higher grade, the lower grade is not counted in your grade point average computation. You may request a transcript review to have repeated courses recalculated into your overall GPA. Contact Admissions & Records for details.

You may not improve grades for courses taken at other institutions by repeating them at CSUMB, nor may you improve grades earned in courses taken at CSUMB by repeating them elsewhere.