> Undergraduate Education
> American Institutions Requirement
American Institutions Requirement
You must demonstrate competence in each of the following:
- The U.S. Constitution
- U.S. history, including the study of U.S. institutions and ideals
- The principles of California state and local government
You may demonstrate this competence in any of the following ways:
- By completing the Democratic Participation ULR and U.S. Histories ULR with course grades of C or better
- By completing appropriate courses at a California Community College or another California university
- By earning official college credit for passing scores on the AP U.S. History exam (credits clear ONLY the U.S. History requirement) and AP Government and Politics: U.S. exam (credits clear ONLY the U.S. Institution and Ideals requirement)
Even if you earn AP credits, you may still need to complete the Democratic Participation ULR to meet the California state and local government component.
- By completing appropriate courses at out-of-state institutions
You may still need to complete the Democratic Participation ULR to meet the California state and local government component.